I ran into an issue where Lightroom Classic refused to let me rename a folder/directory. Here’s what you can do to isolate the problem and fix the issue.
An example error message:
“The folder 2021-01-18 NYC Photo Session could not be renamed or moved.”
- Use File Explorer/Finder and navigate to the folder/directory containing the folder you’re trying to rename. Make sure there isn’t another folder/directory with the same name you’re trying to change to. The folder would not be shown in Lightroom if there are no cataloged photos in it.
- If the folder/directory doesn’t already exist, make sure the folder/directory, or a file within it, isn’t open in another app.
- You may have to reboot the computer to release any locks on the folder or files within the folder.
Workaround / Fix
- Outside Lightroom, use File Explorer/Finder to rename the folder/directory.
- Wait for Lightroom to determine the folder/directory is missing. It’ll show a question mark to the left of the folder name.
- Right-click on the missing folder in Lightroom and choose ‘Find missing Folder’.
- Select the renamed folder/directory to update Lightroom with the new name/location.
- App: Adobe Lightroom Classic v10.3
- OS: Windows 10 v20H2
- Date Resolved: 2021-05-03